Ryan S. Hoover, Ph.D.
Director of Engineering, Marketing Clique
Keywords: WordPress, Customer Relations, Full Stack, User Experience, Usability Testing
WP Engine Austin, TX
Web Developer May 2015 →
- Senior Developer in the Marketing Department
- Created innovative solutions to online marketing using the WP Engine platform
- Developed digital marketing materials, including web assets, landing pages, and email campaigns
- Empowered the Marketing personnel to safely develop and manage their web assets independently
- Collaborated with multiple departments to develop new products and resources for WP Engine customers
Marketing Clique Austin, TX
Director of Engineering March 2015 → May 2015
- Lead developer at an advanced WordPress agency
- Created simple solutions to complex content management, security, and SEO problems
- Developed custom themes and plugins, server optimization, content migration, security, and SEO
- Worked with clients to develop custom solutions to their challenges
- Managed eight full-time and contract developers, maintaining modern web development processes
Senior Software Developer 2014 → March 2015
- Generated solutions for challenging and unique client situations
- Developed custom WordPress themes and plugins to match specific client needs
- Migrated websites from multiple CMSs to WordPress
- Managed servers on a variety of platforms
St. Edward’s University Austin, TX
Assistant Professor, Literature Writing & Rhetoric 2010 → 2014
- Developed “home-grown” digital pedagogy systems using open source software
- Taught courses in web design, technical writing, grant writing, new media theory, rhetorical theory
- Collaborated with administrators on a vision for technologically innovative pedagogy on campus
Texas Tech University Lubbock, TX
Instructor, English Department 2010
- Developed online courses in technical writing
- Graduate Part Time Instructor 2006-2009
Ph.D. Technical Communication & Rhetoric, Texas Tech University, 2009
Dissertation: Network effects on rhetorical agency and the role of technology in user behavior.
M.A. English, Sam Houston State University 2005
B.S. Computing Science (Cum Laude), Sam Houston State University, 2003
Java, Visual Basic, C++
- Web Design
- Customer Relations
- Project Management
- Usability Testing
- Focus Groups
- User Interface Design
- HTML5 / CSS3 / JS
- Genesis Framework
- PHP / MySQL
- Git / Grunt / Composer
- APIs / oAuth
- REST / JSON / AJAX
WP Engine website
Senior developer. I have managed the full web presence of WP Engine, including developing a new theme for several sites, numerous landing pages, security and speed enhancements, geo-specific content, and content management tools for editors.
True Jesus Church
Lead developer. WordPress-based multisite network. To be used by hundreds of churches across the globe. Includes hierarchical network sites, content mirroring across sites, extensive localization, customized WooCommerce, customized MailChimp, and 20+ custom templates and post types.
SEUFolios ePortfolio platform
Sole developer. WordPress-based ePortfolio platform for higher education. The platform provides pedagogical support, job search features, and an online assessment tool. In use across St. Edward’s. Discussions have taken place with the St. Edward’s president to commercialize SEUFolios.
“The Posthuman Grant Application.” Computers and Composition 29.2 (2012).
“Using NVivo to Answer the Challenges of Qualitative Research in Professional Communication: Benefits and Best Practices.” IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication. 54.1 (2011).
“The Impact of NSF and NIH Websites on Researcher Ethics.” Journal of Technical Writing and Communication. 40.4 (2010)
“Joining NSF’s Culture of Communication” Science Careers (from Science Magazine). Dec 10, 2010.
VP, Web Strategy
Director, Ongoing Client Relations
Professor and Dept. Chair
St. Edward’s University